Summer is definitely the time when we want to eat things that are cool and refreshing.
We send our ovens on a vacation and prepare foods that require little heating, not just for our homes but our palates as well.
We turn to the refrigerator to prepare quality meals for ourselves, our families and friends during hot summer months.
There are many kinds of foods that work well to beat the heat, making the most of the abundance of in season vegetables and fruits.
Summer favorites include protein salads such as shrimp salad and chicken salad that are served cold and standbys like cottage cheese or yogurt and fruits. These foods are cold and revitalizing when we need to stay cool!
Some of my favorite summer foods are soups. As much as we love the comfort soups and stews during the winter, we love a casual chilling soup during the summer too!
Here are a few we especially love that I hope you will enjoy too!
- 6 cups cubed ripe melon
- ½ cup cucumber, seeded and diced
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup orange juice
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup vanilla flavored yogurt
- Prepare the ingredients, cutting and coring melon and cucumber. Always was the outside of the melon before cutting.
- Mix one cup of the cubed melon with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and refrigerate for later.
- Put remaining ingredients in blender or food processor to mix and puree.
- Chill puree for two hours.
- Serve soup puree over chilled chunk melon.
- Top with mint sprig if desired or spoon of yogurt.
- We prefer cantaloupe but any melon would work.
- 6 cups of cantaloupe = one 6-7 inch melon
- Tip: to seed cucumber, cut in half lengthwise and scoop with spoon.
- Greek yogurt works well too.
- You can add more or less cinnamon depending on your taste, I prefer a bit more.
- I have been experimenting with chocolate mint and it works great in this soup!
- 2 cups of ¼ inch diced watermelon
- 2 cups orange juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 seedless cucumber, cut into ¼ inch dice
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into ¼ inch dice
- 1 small onion, cut into ¼ inch dice
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, basil, or cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- Process ½ cup of watermelon, along with the orange juice and oil, in a blender or food processor until pureed.
- Transfer to a medium bowl, along with remaining ingredients.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Can be made several hours before serving
Other Great Cold Summer Soup Ideas
- Cucumber Dill Soup
- Beet Soup
- Avocado Soup
- Carrot Soup
- Zucchini Soup
- Chilled Borscht
- Spiced Fruit Soup
All of these delicious summer chilled soups take full advantage of available fresh produce! They are especially handy when we have produce that might be starting to get mushy or wilted but we don’t want to waste it!
We can serve these soups with garden salads, crunchy wheat bread or rolls, fresh fruit or a side of grilled protein such as shrimp, chicken breast or fish filet.
Enjoy the delicious summer bounty!